Friday, July 22, 2011

No Such Thing

A well known horse trainer is often quoted with saying, "there is no such thing is a bad horse, just bad trainers".

Many other trainers would argue about that, saying at times... there ARE horses you can't get through to. It certainly seems like it... I've seen some of them.

But in seeing them in a moment... do we really know all there is about that horse that got it to this seemingly malignant attitude? Do we know it's breed? It's history? It's environment(culture)?

I would venture to say something even more controversial than the quote above.

There is no such thing is bad people, just bad choices. Oh... I know that didn't set well with some of you. It didn't even set well with ME as my fingers typed it out. I'm still trying to wrap my own mind around it as I consider some of the monstrous things that have happened in our own communities in the last couple weeks.

However, I would challenge you to ask yourself, does God create people with the purpose of them being BAD!? Does He say... "Oh... and I will purposefully put this one on the Earth to murder and destroy"?

Maybe I have a theological screw loose... Please feel free to tighten it if I do. But I do believe God's intentions for us all are pure... it's what we do from there on out that builds our future and our persona. God knows which path each person is going to take, but it doesn't mean that was His hope for them.

Having this outlook gives greater compassion, and greater insight. It helps to see that even the worst of the worst had a good hope in their created moment. It gives us hope. It inspires us to not give up on them and to try to grab on and pull that hope forward.

I LOVE that challenge with horses. It can be scary... but when someone says there is no hope for a horse's attitude... I just want to see them proven wrong.

Now I am asking God to give me that same challenge with people, souls that matter. Help me Lord to even more passionately look at people with the hope and truth that you can see into their hearts with.

Horrifying actions and situations. Yes. Those are real.

Bad people?

No Such Thing.

No comments: