Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Is My Head Set?

Another lesson I learned yesterday is what it means to have a horses head "set". I love how every lesson we learn with horses we can also apply to ourselves! Thank you to my dear trainer friend who is willing to pour into so many people the knowledge that God has blessed her with!!

So in order for a horse to have it's head set... in a nutshell... as it's moving, it is holding it's head down vertical/perpendicular to the ground. I wish I had a picture here to show you better what this means... but basically you don't want a horse moving with it's head in the clouds. I always thought that the horses who moved with their heads set were depressed... or oppressed... little did I know that they are usually very strong and willing. When a horse drops it's head while it's moving it helps round out it's neck and back, which eventually strengthens it's muscles and allows it to carry a rider with more strength and ease. It's not really the easy option, for the horse to set it's head (if I understand right) but it has long term benefits for many reasons!

Horses and people who run around with their heads in the clouds will see frustration in their lives... although it may seem necessary and easy at the time, they will pay for it eventually.

When we set our heads, we realize that we know there is more to life... people around us may look at us and think we are oppressed, we might not seem to enjoy quick gratifications like the world does, but we are not living for monetary pleasure... we are working to better ourselves. We are strengthening ourselves to have ease later on. We are wise, strong, understanding and willing.

You might have to set your head in the area of your diet, relationships, finances or many other areas. I know I need to and I will be asking myself a lot lately... if my head is in the clouds or not.

No comments: