Monday, December 17, 2007

Friendship and Sunshine

This afternoon I went out to see Blaze and give him a little treat. I was surprised to see all his food from this morning hardly even touched. The same thing happened yesterday. I had a feeling yesterday that Blaze might be lonely... sure... I am probably looking a little too far into this, but it's interesting. On Sunday we woke up to several inches of new snow on the ground, I went out and fed Blaze a little hay, gave him a little water and some petting... but when I walked away Blaze began to whinny. I had a feeling something was not right, I told Rob I was concerned that he hadn't eaten and that he whinnied when I walked away, he never really does that. Rob mentioned that he probably wanted me to stay out and play in the snow. I never really thought horses LIKED deep snow and would want to play in it... but I gave it a chance and I walked along the fence of Blaze's pasture, and sure enough the play began. He began to run around his pasture like a race horse. Blaze is a horse that needs a little borrowed confidence from time to time, and I guess my presence gave him permission to run. There was SO MUCH snow flying everywhere that I could only see the top half of Blaze's body. He looked SO beautiful and so powerful throwing his head around as he went back and forth between a sprint and a trot. The importance of my presence was confirmed as he continually ran up only feet away from me and stopped quickly with a swirl of snow catching up with him as it whipped around him, then throwing his head back over his shoulder only to take off again. Today as I saw he still was not eating much I wondered again if maybe he was a little lonely. My thoughts were confirmed as just having me in there with him was enough to encourage him to eat. And as I stood there in his stall I looked out and saw the nice sunshine and wondered if a little hay in the sunshine might please him... and it did the trick. It's amazing what a little friendship and sunshine can do! How many times have we just felt the presence of a friend free us to run. The power of friendship can be very releasing. God has used Blaze today to remind me my friendship can bring freedom to someone, and to not be afraid to allow someone's friendship bring freedom to me.

1 comment:

Rising Rainbow said...

Hay and sunshine sounds like a good thing.