Monday, October 22, 2007

BRAVERY!!!!!

Yes this is the LARGEST lesson Blaze has taught me!!! Today I had his hooves trimmed... and WELL Blaze is a stinker... and that's putting it nicely!!!!!! He needs more training and TLC obviously. So getting his hooves done today unfortunately meant, a lot of biting, pushing stomping, pulling, kicking and if you have ever had to control an animal that big while they are being a brat... you know it's intimidating. I felt bad for the farrier, I should be more polished up on my horse skills... but he was so patient with both Blaze and me! And he exhibited true bravery... I mean imagine having the job of picking up a grumpy horses feet, and climbing nearly under his body to hold them up and trim and clean them. Especially... the BACK feet. I totally have a fear of the rear!!

So my first lesson of bravey was when we first bought Blaze... let me tell you his situation.

Blaze was owned by WONDERFUL owners who were not able to care for him anymore. Our friends grandpa owned and LOVED Blaze... but was not able to work with him anymore. And the neighbors... well some were good... but other were cruel to Blaze. We caught one neighbor in the act of throwing fresh cut grass over the fence, which we thought was a nice gesture... but once Blaze went up to the fence to eat it.. the man slapped him across his face repeatedly until blaze ran away. And then another neighbor told us they had witness the same man's sons shooting a beebee gun at Blazes feet. Also we found many thing in his pasture that had apparently been thrown at him to get a reaction.

So when we bought Blaze... he had a fear of man. The first time I ever touched his body his whole body trembled and his eyes were full of fear and uncertainty... how brave HE was to even let me touch him. And yes... an animal as big as a horse CAN be petrified. So eventually after a lot of touching and brushing and loving we finally got out the lead rope... just the site of it set Blaze about kicking and snorting and running. Once he had enough bravery to come up to the rope reaching toward him to snap it on his halter caused him to rear up. And when I finally got it on him he reared up again and turned an kicked and ran off with such power that it ripped the rope out of my hand... yep rope burn!!!!! Well. Here is the thing... I WAS FREAKED OUT but if Blaze sensed my fear it would make things worse so I tried to stay brave... standing right in the middle of this pasture... NO WHERE to go with this horse running and kick all around me... and then TOWARD me. UGGGHHHH

Well I had to go home and seriously pray, I knew God had kept me safe and I KNEW that God wanted me to have this exact horse for a reason. So I needed to cast fear aside. It was NOT easy... and it still is not. BUT I have come VERY far. I never drempt I would be doing what I had to do with Blaze today. But God... through a horse... is teaching me to deal with fear. You see with fear in the way neither Blaze or I would have gotten better.

There are MANY times in our lives that fear can stop healing or stop God's plan. But we CANNOT let it. Or nothing changes. Today... after being done with the hooves... well I felt GREAT... even though I could have done better... but if I would have never defeated the fear... I would have never felt the bliss of growth and victory.

So it goes with our adoption. Defeating the fear... will bring great victory.
Thank you Blaze... Thank you GOD for helping me overcome fear!

No comments: